The Predator

A Walk to Remember

At Landrum, November 19th is a day where everyone walks, remembers, and honors people from all walks of life who have faced difficult challenge-in a celebration of life, love, sacrifice, and triumph called the Walk of Remembrance.

At Landrum, November 19th is a day where everyone walks, remembers, and honors those who fought for our country; those who died fighting cancer, and those who survived. Each student walks around the Alice B. Landrum Middle School track as they see their loved one’s names on signs, in a celebration of life, love, sacrifice, and truimph called the Walk of Remembrance.

The Walk of Remembrance has been a great success in past years at supporting five different organizations. This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the event, and it is sure to be the most successful one yet.

“The walk gives people a chance to reflect on others that they know who have died of cancer, or were survivors. Having friends around makes it easier,” says Dean Anthony, who in 2008, founded one of Landrum’s best traditions.

Students will be able to walk around the track on Monday, November 19th, from 11:00 to 1:00 by grade level. Signs will be placed all around the track with the names of family and friends who are to be honored during this walk.

“When the students see the names of their loved one’s names on the signs, it makes them feel like that person is important to all. Seeing the sign has a greater effect.” suggests Dean Anthony.

There are 5 foundations that will be supported at the walk. The Donna Foundation researches a cure for and helps those who have Breast Cancer. Child PedsCare provides children who are terminally ill with their last wish. The Wounded Warrior Project gives soldiers moving or coming home backpacks with any essentials needed. Joshua Frase Foundation researches to find a cure for myotubular myopathy, which Joshua Frase, who was a former Landrum student, died of. Lastly, Child Cancer Fund helps families with children who have been diagnosed with cancer.

Just before the walk, t-shirts of 5 different colors will be sold representing each foundation. The colors are dark blue for the Child Cancer Fund, light blue for The Joshua Frase Foundation purple for Child PedsCare, yellow for the Wounded Warrior Project, and pink for The Donna foundation.

This event takes place annually and is sure to be celebrated here at Landrum for many years to come. Many also see it as a way to remember those who they loved who died fighting, survived, or served our country with pride. The Walk of Remembrance is surely an extraordinary way to reflect on our lives and the lives of others.

Written By: Victoria Wolker Kraljic

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
A Walk to Remember