The Predator

A Run with Fate

Ella Harrison

Ella Harrison

Ava Pollock, Staff Writer

On April 5th, 2013, a family proudly watched from the sidelines as their mom finished the Boston Marathon.  Laughing and talking, the family went back to their grandparents’ house, oblivious to the two bombs that would go off about an hour later at the exact spot they just were. Ella Harrison, a seventh grader at Alice B. Landrum Middle School, would later find out about the life-changing event that shook hundreds.

Ella was only seven years old when she was at the marathon, so she didn’t think about it as much back then. Now, however, she thinks about it a lot. “There are a lot of scary things happening in the world right now, and if something like that happens again, I would definitely be a lot more scared and affected.” says Ella, when asked about the marathon bombing.

Ella’s mom was very thankful but was also very scared. If her mom had ran slower or had to rest for a bit more, Ella might not be the same girl, or even go to the same school. “It’s scary, thinking that if something went wrong my mom might have gone to the hospital,” Ella explained.

Her overwhelming experience wasn’t over after the dozens of police cars and ambulances came. Ella and her brother were looking through photos they took of the marathon and noticed a suspicious man carrying a large bag. Concerned, they gave the photo to the FBI and it was confirmed: the man was indeed one of the two bombers.

Even though Ella’s family was scared about the bombing, they still have the tradition of running the marathon, and traditions aren’t easily thrown away. The next year, Ella’s mom ran the race. Everyone was hesitant and scared but luckily, nothing happened. Ella cheered on her mom and everything was fine. Ella still goes to the Boston Marathon every year and doesn’t plan on stopping.

• A Run with Fate

Features

Does Class Size Relate to Student Achievement?

• Features

A Walk to Remember

• A Run with Fate

Features

The Possibilities and Potential Perils of Artificial Intelligence

• Features

October 2018 Episode 1

• A Run with Fate

Entertainment

Chick Fil A is Tops at Landrum

• A Run with Fate

Entertainment

Fall Festival a Splash at LMS!

• A Run with Fate

Entertainment

Spirit Week Fun For All

• A Run with Fate

Entertainment

LandrumToday.com Launches

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• A Run with Fate

Features

Chewing Gum in School

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
A Run with Fate