The Predator

The Giver Review

“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It’s the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared,” The Giver states in the famous book, The Giver. A book about a young boy named Jonas who lives in a society without feelings, colors, or choices. He is chosen for the honorable job as the receiver and learns about the real world and its happiness and love. Jonas is determined to change the way they live. Every seventh grader at Landrum has read the Giver and deeply analyzed its meaning. Everybody has their own way of understanding a book. Let’s dig deeper into what people really think.

Many people are changed by the Giver, it changes the way they see the world. Some detest choices, but when shown how a world without choices is, they are grateful. Others detest war, but as the famous poet Cristopher Paolini said, “Without fear there cannot be courage.” It is thought that if we rid the world of our problems, there won’t be any, but really good and bad are in balance together. Take away competition, you take away determination. If you take away choices, you take away one’s ability to merge into a society and thrive. A 7th grader at LMS, Emmory Harrington, commented, “The book made me see another side of the world,” she added, “A perspective that was new to me.” It is true some will make wrong choices, but people learn from their mistakes, it’s called humanity. Marina Mitchell, a seventh grader at LMS says, “After reading The Giver, I’m concerned about what our society might become.”

In the dedication page prior to the title page, Lois Lowry, the author of The Giver states, “For all the children, to whom we entrust the future.”  By saying this, Lois Lowry meant to say that she believes children can decipher between right and wrong, good and evil and take the future into their own hands rather than accepting the future they were given by past generations. Paige Macko, a 7th grader at LMS said, “The story was very unique, unlike anything I’ve read before. “Lois Lowry’s goal is for children to understand the real meaning of life by reading this book.  Reading The Giver is a part of the 7th grade language arts curriculum because a school’s job is to prepare its students for life, and The Giver shows students how life can really be. Mrs. Wilson, a 7th grade language arts teacher at LMS who has been reading The Giver to her students for years says, “It’s important because it causes you to realize life isn’t perfect. People need to be there to help each other.”

All in all, we’ve all interpreted The Giver in different ways, but no matter how you saw the story, it has helped you better understand life. “Life is like a box of chocolate,” says the famous Forrest Gump. “You never know what you’re going to get.” Hopefully this award winning teen dystopian society novel has helped you truly understand Forrest Gump.

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

Chick Fil A is Tops at Landrum

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

Fall Festival a Splash at LMS!

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

Spirit Week Fun For All

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

LandrumToday.com Launches

• Entertainment

ROAR TV Summer 2017

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

Do You Fortnite?

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

A Day in the Life of a Custodian

• Entertainment

Roar TV Jim Harbin Entry 2018

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

After School Activities

• The Giver Review

Entertainment

What’s Your Favorite Book Genre?

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
The Giver Review