The Predator

Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Isabella Toby’s Opinion: By now you most likely know about all of the school shootings happening in the U.S and how devastating it is, but what you may not know is many Parkland survivors are speaking out and not necessarily in a good way. An example of this is, David Hogg, David is very involved in trying to make a difference, but he took it a little too far by targeting Laura Ingraham, a very successful business woman. Not only has David almost destroyed Laura’s career but he also is targeting her childhood. Now let’s dig deeper.

It all started on March 28th, when Laura tweeted about her experience with guns when she was a child. David said some negative things about her childhood, and Laura did not approve. As a result, Laura backfired at David and used his personal information about his colleges against him. In other words, David applied to 12 colleges but did not get in to all of them and Laura tweeted about it stating, “David Hogg Rejected by Four Colleges to Which He Applied and whines about it.” This tweet was unacceptable and rude; this twitter fight should not have gone any further than this; but you can guess that it did, David decided to list all of Ingraham’s advertisers and told his followers on twitter to email them. Because of this, all of Laura’s advertisers dropped her in an instant as you can see, things really got “heated”. I believe that they both took this little feud way too far, but what happened next will surprise you even more. Laura apologized like a good person would, stating that anyone who got in to any college should be proud of their hard work, but David publicly unaccepted her apology; the main reason he did this was because he thought she was doing it to get her advertisers back. This was most likely true but, in my opinion what David did was the most childish thing someone could ever do.

Many people are taking sides on who they think was basically less rude or childish. What I think is completely different, I believe that both of them are entitled to freedom of speech because our Founding Fathers created the Constitution to where everyone could speak freely. But, that does not include almost ruining people’s careers or talking about someone’s personal information. I personally believe that this feud should end because they are fighting over many ridiculous and unimportant things, I also believe that they are both completely wrong. This is because the fact that that they have to make fun of others to feel better about themselves is very low.

All in all, the feud between Laura Ingraham and David Hogg was rude and disgusting something like this should never happen ever again. I believe that they were both completely wrong and were taking their own opinions and turning it in to a huge fight that never should have happened.

Bella Salzbrunn’s Opinion: Since March 28th, 2018, Fox News anchor Laura Ingraham has been receiving backlash for her rude comments aimed at Parkland shooting survivor, David Hogg. Ingraham, who hosts The Laura Ingraham Show, tweeted a comment to David Hogg about his rejection by four colleges. Her tweet, which stated, “David Hogg Rejected by Four Colleges To Which He Applied and whines about it.”, has extremely backfired on her.

Her abrupt comment leaves many wondering why she would even attack Hogg in the first place. He had just suffered the shock of a mass shooting, and Laura Ingraham, a mom, targeting him about his college acceptance is outrageous. Hogg, who had every right to be upset about the insulting tweet, fired back at Laura Ingraham. Hogg’s tweet back, asked people to contact the top advertisers on her show. Many, who did not even want to be associated with her anymore after her rude tweet to David Hogg, peeled off the show. Also, remember that Hogg isn’t forcing anyone to leave her show. He simply asked his followers to contact the sponsors about why they want to still be connected to her. After targeting an innocent student out of nowhere, many companies were probably considering leaving her show before he even tweeted back. Although some disagree with Hogg’s decision to try to take away her advertisers, if Laura had the right to say something to David Hogg in the first place, then Hogg most certainly has the right to say something back. According to the First Amendment of the US Constitution, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press…” So, based on the Constitution, we have the right to free speech and freedom of the press. Ingraham has the permission to say something to David Hogg, whether it’s rude or not, which means that Hogg also is allowed to say something back. To continue, CNN’s Brian Stelter said, “My view is, let’s not shut down anyone’s right to speak. Let’s meet their comments with more speech.” Both Laura and David fired their comments at each other. So, why are people who are supporting Ingraham saying that she has the First Amendment right to say or tweet what she wants. It isn’t Hogg’s fault that Laura Ingraham’s dumb tweet backfired on her massively. Which, in this case, his tweet worked in favor of him. Advertisers of the Laura Ingraham Show didn’t like her comments toward Hogg, a school shooting survivor, and when enough people spoke up, they left her show. As a show host, the public may either agree or disagree with what she has to say. Although what she said was beyond rude, those who agree can continue to support her, and those who disagree can be against her and don’t have to support her show, including the advertisers.

In conclusion, Laura Ingraham’s nasty comments toward David Hogg have been receiving extreme backlash from the public. Ingraham, who deserved the backlash after the random, stupid tweet, has been losing advertisers and support on her show, as well as caused Fox News to have her take a break from her show. David Hogg, an extremely smart student, a shooting survivor and fighter, will not be brought down by the rude things that others have to say.

The Perilous Power of Social Media

Ava’s Opinion: Our world is the purest mix of heart-ache, love, and emotions imaginable, yet, sometimes we feel a void in our lives. We look at the trees, the stars, the sunlight to seek beauty; but our shopping malls force down the trees, our phones shine over the stars, our hoodies block out the sun. We live in the age of rape jokes, school shootings, the digestion of Tide Pods, and of course social media. It is sad to say, but most people truly care more about “Keeping up with the Kardashians” than, for instance, putting a stop world poverty. There are endless views and opinions on how simple communication outlets such as Twitter or Facebook have shaped not just our today, but also our tomorrow. Social media has accumulated dangerous power over our world. In today’s day and age, a celebrity’s loyal followers will turn on someone with the snap of the finger- and it’s happened many times before. Just recently, Lauren Ingraham, an accomplished member of the FOXS News team, has been left without advertisers for her talk-show; “The Ingraham Angle” all because of one comment she posted on Twitter- a remark she will forever bitterly regret.

Laura Ingraham is society’s latest outcast. She made the inevitable mistake of posting a rude remark, making a rash assumption on social media, and its common knowledge that the eyes of the public are anything but forgiving. Ingraham verbally attacked Stoneman Douglas High School senior, David Hoggs. On February 14th, 2018, David Hoggs, along with his fellow students, went through one of the most traumatizing experiences occurring in the twenty first century, a school shooting. Stoneman Douglas has since served as both a learning environment and a memorial ground, honoring the lives of the seventeen children who died in this tragedy. Parkland, the city where Stoneman Douglas High is located, is in the process of healing as a community, and no one has been spared the pain and grief that comes with travesty. Laura Ingraham, however, thought this was no excuse for self-pity when it came to the matter of these student’s college plans. She tweeted, “David Hogg Rejected by Four Colleges to Which He Applied and whines about it. (Dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA…totally predictable given acceptance rates.)” Though this comment was by no means an acceptable thing to say, it should not have demolished a career that was built over decades of meticulous care, sacrifice, and hardwork. That is the power of social media, the power to destroy both livelihoods and what we live for. Since this tweet, Laura Ingraham has been deserted by her once “devoted” advertisers and left with a shattered reputation, one that paints her as a heartless human being- as heartless as they come.

According to the World Health Organization, in 2020, approximately 1.53 million people will die of suicide directly linked to social media. 1.53 million is a horrifying number. Yet, what’s even more horrifying? The fact that people view that 1.53 million as a number. Each and every person who has taken their own life was once a precious heart-beat, a giggling six-year old, a moody pre-teen. Social media has literally robbed our leaders of tomorrow, today. You’d think our nation would grieve and learn from these tragic deaths- but instead we mock the very instance of suicide. We laugh at the “cowards”. We are keen to crack jokes of sadness and depression, keen to tease those who are bullied. Social Media promotes this type of behavior. The terrible truth about Social Media is that it creates a culture where no one can ever be happy. We will always be comparing our profile pictures to those of someone we view as “better” than ourselves. Eighth graders Emma McCauley and Marli Mosovitz tell that they easily see how social media can isolate people, making them feel lonely, unworthy, or ugly- saying real beauty can be found under the filters, under the edits we make to our not so picture-perfect pictures. Social media has pushed too many people to their graves- the people who were destined to fill the Senate, find a cure, make a break-through, build a freaking empire- but the world will never know. Their once precious heart-beats are now non-existent, their once beaming faces now solemn, their once glorious potentials now all gone, stolen- and stolen for what you might ask, absolutely nothing- for being their beautiful selves even when the world insisted they weren’t beautiful, and the sad thing is there only so much people can take.

Crowned Queen of Communication, Social Media has evolved into an unstoppable force that has left Laura Ingraham without advertisers, parents without children, and teenagers without happiness.

Ella’s Opinion: Starting on March 28th, Laura Ingraham, a famous Fox News anchor, is receiving backlash for her comments toward David Hogg, a Parkland shooting survivor.  Laura Ingraham tweeted something about her childhood memories with guns, David Hogg took this personally and negatively responded. Laura Ingraham retaliated and brought up David Hogg’s outrageous complaints. He complained about only getting into eleven out of the twelve colleges he applied to. After Laura mentioned this he decided to reach out to her top twelve advertisers and get them to drop her show. This was completely juvenile and unnecessary because she has freedom of speech, was not even trying to engage with David Hogg, and David Hogg unreasonably reacted by trying to ruin Laura Ingraham’s career.

According to the United States of America’s Constitution, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press” So, if Laura Ingraham is allowed to say what she thinks then why is David Hogg taking it so personally? Why is he taking offense to a simple statement? She had the right to talk about her childhood memories that involved guns. David Hogg does not need to comment on her childhood memories it was a harmless tweet and David Hogg’s reaction is completely immature. Just because he went through an awful tragedy he shouldn’t take out his anger on somebody’s harmless tweet.

Additionally, Laura Ingraham wasn’t trying to engage with David Hogg she simply was recalling a childhood memory related to guns. She is allowed to state her opinion and shouldn’t receive backlash from David Hogg because of it. She tweeted, “David Hogg Rejected by Four Colleges to Which He Applied and whines about it. (Dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA…totally predictable given acceptance rates.)” after he backlashed at her tweet. While, this may have been unnecessary she later apologized. However, before she had the chance to apologize, he decided to take matters just a little too far. People understand he has been through a lot, but contacting Laura Ingraham’s advertisers and telling them to drop her show is taking things too far. If someone says something you don’t like, you shouldn’t try to ruin their career because of it. David Hogg simply took matters to far.

This reaction was unreasonable and unnecessary. To add on, Laura Ingraham tried to apologize and David Hogg tweeted back, “I 100% agree an apology in an effort just to save your advertisers is not enough. I will only accept your apology only if you denounce the way your network has treated my friends and I️ in this fight. It’s time to love thy neighbor, not mudsling at children.” He showed by saying this that while Laura Ingraham’s comments may have been hurtful, he is after the whole network not just her. The classmates he is speaking of have had no complaints towards the network. He is the only one who is complaining about the network and doesn’t need to ruin Laura Ingraham’s career over his problem with Fox News.

All in all, while both took matters to far Laura Ingraham tried to resolve the problem and David Hogg continued to be childish and ignore peace efforts. He took this problem to the next level and tried to destroy someone’s career for their opinion, which they are free to have. David Hogg was in the wrong and revealed his problem wasn’t even with Laura Ingraham, it was with Fox News. David Hogg should accept Laura Ingraham’s apology and apologize for his overreaction.

Emily’s Opinion:  On February 14th a mass school shooting, known as The Stoneman Douglas High shooting took place, triggering a wave of protests across the country. In turn, widely discussed in the media. The topic of the tsunami taking over the country? Gun control.

One of the many who decided to take a stand on the issue was talk show host Laura Ingraham. On her show the same night she shared her own experiences with the gun in question, and her opinion on gun control itself stating, “I’ve fired it many times. My family owned a lot of guns. I shot guns since I was, I don’t know, six years old,” Ingraham said. “But it’s like all weapons. It’s very dangerous in the hands of the wrong person, and if you’re not trained and you have a criminal disposition, a violent disposition, it can be turned into a killing machine.” The students of Stoneman Douglas, in their full rights, were unimpressed.

Her comments caused a backlash with the students, wh0 did not believe she had the right response to the tragedy. They created gun control protests across media. In response, Ingraham tweeted out a inappropriate article about David Hogg, a survivor of the shooting and gun control activist, headlined, “David Hogg Rejected By Four Colleges To Which He Applied and whines about it. (Dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA…totally predictable given acceptance rates.)” Link to article.  Hogg, who was offended by this statement, for obvious reasons, tweeted out a list of Ingraham’s advertisers, requesting viewers to choose one and contact them. Some feel Hogg was over his limits for doing this, however, this is incorrect because from the start, Ingraham was on the bad side of the situation. Ingraham, completely unprovoked, publicly broadcasted a very immature statement against a teenager. Hogg, who had just lived through the trauma of such a terrible school shooting, was only trying to make a positive change in schools. Wheras Ingraham who only cared about the number of  show viewers she recieved.

After watching the result of her statement begin to manifest in the money that was flowing out of her show, she realized the damage she had done. In an effort to make up for the losses she had created, she tweeted a public apology addressed to Hogg. The “heartfelt” apology she posted was the result only of money flooding out of her show. Looking closely at the double tweet she sent out, it’s apparent how the tweet was only written to convince people she was the bigger person in the situation.

The tweet starts off with her passion to keep peace with everyone, saying “On reflection, in the spirit of Holy Week,” she apologized for her tweet and hoped it didn’t hurt any of the “brave Parkland victims.” She then goes on to show how she was supportive of Hogg from the start, saying, “For the record, I believe my show was the first to feature David immediately after that horrific shooting and even noted how “poised” he was given the tragedy.” She then ends with an invitation back to the show for David, “As always, he’s welcome to return to the show anytime for a productive discussion.” Beneath the real words for this part of the statement, was how she had already forgiven him and was ready to forget the situation; as long as the money started coming back in.

The whole tweet was tailored to be a publicity stunt to win advertisers back over, not her actual feeling of remorse for statements she made to David. If it was, she never would have posted the tweet in the first place.

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Features

Does Class Size Relate to Student Achievement?

• Features

A Walk to Remember

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Entertainment

Spirit Week Fun For All

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

News

Nate Wicker is Going to See the Jags!

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Entertainment

LandrumToday.com Launches

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Features

The Dangers of JUULs and Vaping

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

News

Landrum Cleans Up at Local Jim Harbin Competition

• News

Election Video

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Features

Dogs Vs. Cats – The Epic Showdown

• Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News

Features

Should Landrum have Study Hall?

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Opinion: Hogg vs. Fox News