The Predator

Should Landrum have Study Hall?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Should Landrum have Study Hall?

Camryn Rausch

You had two weeks to do your project, you put it off until the last day, now it is due tomorrow, and you haven’t even started it. Well if that’s you, then you probably need study hall which will help stay organized and get things done. Students here at Landrum middle school have said that they would love to have study hall as an elective or after school club, but other students say otherwise. The website “agradeahead.com” the principal claims that “He realized that many classes had a ton of missing homework assignments, so assigned teachers before and after school help/study sessions and realized that they had 32% to 50% honor roll student increase after all of the sessions.” This shows that having a study hall improves the academics at schools. On the other hand, an eighth grader here at Landrum claims, “We shouldn’t have study hall at our school because students at our school are too immature to have a class like a study hall.” And to support this, the website, “bghscharger.com” overall states, that study hall has been changing into nap time and play time for students and not a time when students can do homework and stuff that they’re struggling with. However, students have also been saying that they would love study hall as a class, or elective, 8th grader Sonja states, “Yes because for students who study better with a group they will then be able to study with a group.” So, study hall would be very beneficial for students who have trouble finishing work by themselves or are struggling with a particular subject. Also, some students ride the bus home and do nothing once they get home. Well, if we had study hall at Landrum, then students would be able to study or get things done in advance rather than sitting at home doing nothing. As you can see, adding study hall to Landrum as an elective or after-school club would have many advantages and disadvantages. Students would love to have study hall because of all of its benefits. While other students say it wouldn’t be taken seriously and students would just turn it into playtime and naptime, which wouldn’t benefit anyone. Now, would you want study hall to be added here at Landrum?

Photo Courtesy of EducatedOwl

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Should Landrum have Study Hall?