The Predator

Weird Food Traditions

Ella Fraser

Yummy eyeballs!  That is what many people say when they are in Japan and about to eat the delicacy of Tuna eyeballs.  Every family and country has their weird food tradition, whether it’s ravioli in soup, onion pancakes, or something more exotic, some foods that are extremely strange to some people are considered to be normal to others.

Eighth grader Mary Vega said, “when I watch movies I always eat Takis and pickles, and my family eats apple sauce, pork chops and asparagus.” Many people think of this as a weird food combination, but Mary says it’s delicious! T.J. Fraser said that when he was in the Philippines, one of his friends asked for him to try Balut.  T.J. explained that this was not his favorite food experience, stating, “my friend asked for me to eat Balut, and since this was considered part of their culture in the Philippines I said sure; but boy was I surprised when I bit into the egg to find a baby duck inside that was boiled alive.”  Reflecting upon this experience, T.J. said with a scowl on his face, “yuck!”

Different countries have their own strange food traditions.  In Japan,  Shirako is considered to be quite tasty.  But when you learn what it really is, your opinion on Shirako may change. Shirako is sperm sacs of either cod, angler or puffer fish.  In Cambodia, you may think that you are eating deep fried crab, but you may really be eating crispy tarantulas.  In Laos, if you order Gaeng Kai Mot Daeng, then you may think that you are eating shrimp soup – but you would really be eating ant eggs and partial ant embryos.  If you are in Korea and you order Boshintang, then you should make sure that your dog is still on its leash.  Boshintang is soup made with onions, dandelions, spices and dog meat.

So when you are ordering a meal on your next vacation, be sure that you know what will arrive on your plate so that you do not end up eating man’s best friend.

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Weird Food Traditions