The Predator

Why You Should Learn a Foreign Language

Madison O'Reilly

Our world is centered around communication. With around 7,000 languages in the world, it may seem intriguing to learn more than one language in a lifetime. Learning a language seems to be the new craze with students because they think they can do better in school with the knowledge. Yet, others refrain from learning a language because they fear they will never utilize it. However, learning a language could be helpful in many more ways than just for traveling. According to cla.auburn.edu, learning a language can increase your creativity and critical thinking skills. In fact, eighth grader, Sarah Wicker, agrees that “I have noticed a rise in creativity and critical thinking as well as how I look at and solve problems.” After just one year of learning Spanish and a couple years of German, Sarah Wicker finds some of her classes easier because her brain has been trained to look at subjects in a new way. She is also able to think more critically about her school work, which she thinks is another effect of her ability to recall words in almost three languages. Other students who have all been actively learning a language for a minimum of one-year have also noticed rises in their grades and even their vocabulary in the English language. Moreover, pandatree.com describes that, “In a globally connected economy, bilinguals have greater access to jobs and they earn higher salaries.” Kayleigh Ruggles plans to take advantage of her Spanish by becoming a doctor. Being bilingual will become helpful to Kayleigh because she will be able to communicate with other doctors around the world and create lifesaving cures for patients worldwide. Therefore, becoming fluent in a language can benefit students in so many ways. From college applications to traveling, students enjoy learning different languages and will continue to learn them for years to come.

The Student News Site of Alice B. Landrum Middle School
Why You Should Learn a Foreign Language